Friday, September 26, 2008

An old song by Snap!

As if no one has heard this one before. I'm also feeling very punny this week...and I don't care, because

I'VE GOT THE POWER!!!

My neighbor called at 6 last night to let me know that, 13 days after it went out, our electricity was finally back on. Which means that Bryan and I can comfortably go home after 11 days at my mom's house.

(Let's get this out of the way quickly: I am grateful that we have no house damage and that everyone we know is OK. I know we got off pretty light, much lighter than a lot of folks [including Amy and her family]. I know we're incredibly privileged in the first place. But being robbed of my creature comforts was definitely...well...uncomfortable.)

It's finally starting to feel a bit more like normal, though my workplace is still shaken up and the evidence of Ike's path is everywhere to be seen. The good news is, this experience has pointed out a handful of things that will make next time (whether it's 25 years away, or two) better, and we'll soon be ready to jump on them.

In other news, it will be great to have something else to talk about soon. Y'all will be the first to know when I do! Thanks again for all the good thoughts. Keep 'em coming, and as soon as I figure out a good way to help Amy (and the rest of Galveston's residents), I'll shout it out.

1 comment:

rocketbird said...

Congratulations! I know that it's bittersweet, but I am happy that you get to go home, and everyone else is still in my heart as they go through the recovery effort.