Thursday, October 04, 2007

Amethyst shift

I'm posting this as I wait for Amy's birthday present to finish baking so that I can rush it over to Stitch 'n' Bitch. Nothing will be spoken of the kitchen catastrophe that caused her pumpkin bread not to have been finished last night.

At any rate, I have found myself with a dilemma. Suddenly, now that I have finished the Forest Canopy and had a few days to think about it, it occurs to me that I have a very deserving recipient...and it's not me.

Biologically speaking, I don't have any living grandparents. TechieBK's maternal GPs are still around (and gladly so - I adore them and vice versa), but I have only one personal known-me-all-my-life grandparent left. Grandma C is my stepmom's mother, a lovely, strong-willed, practical, able person who began treating me like her own granddaughter the day I met her, when I was seven. And so, I *am* her granddaughter.

And while I'll have to tell you all about her another time, here's to the business at hand: Should I give her the Forest Canopy that I thought I was making for myself? To some point, I've wondered all along if this shawl was really mine; much as I loved making it, and adore the color, it felt like I was making it for someone else.

I think I already know the answer, but of course I need affirmation. So if you have thoughts on whether the Amethyst Forest Canopy should become one of Grandma C's Christmas presents, please feel free to share. I know the Red Shawl Dammit is definitely mine, so it's not like I'd be deprived...

And now, to cool the pumpkin bread. Pictures, recipe, and story this weekend.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I were your grandmother, I'd be thrilled beyond words to receive a gift like that. And I'd leave it back to you in my will. :)

Amy said...

on a more selfish note, while I would have been totally ok without pumpkin bread and more of your company tonight, I do heartily love the pumpkin bread and the fact that you would go to so much trouble to make some for me. In fact when I got home tonight, my brother was up. Did I offer pumpkin bread?? Nope! I offered banana nut! ;)

Anonymous said...

It's hers. It suits her perfectly. And she'll love it.

Liz said...

I'd say give it to her, but wrap it up quickly with that in mind. I decided to give those twisted flower socks to my aunt (thought I was making them for me) when they were nearly finished, but I gave in tonight and wore them around the apartment for an hour and now my resolve has weakened... oh I am so weak... and the socks are so soft and pretty and took so long...

The point is, if you're selfish like me, hide the shawl!